There are many opportunities to volunteer at FCDC. Each of the programs can use help from week to week. There are also time throughout the year when special events call for additional assistance from our volunteers. Below are descriptions for the variety of volunteer opportunities at FCDC:
- Food Pantry: Volunteers are needed to help organize and distribute food for the clients of FCDC. A person must be able to perform light to medium physical activity and display a positive attitude to those who come to us for aid. On-the-job training by the Food Pantry Manager will be provided for those who volunteer to help with the Food Pantry. Other training is provided as needed. The time of the work will be determined by needs and events. The Food Pantry is open every Tuesday and Thursday from 1:00 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- Clothing Closet: Volunteers are needed to help sort and distribute clothing for the clients of FCDC. A person must be able to perform light to medium physical activity and display a positive attitude to those who come to us for aid. On-the-job training is provided by the Clothing Closet Volunteer Manger. Other training is provided as needed. Work shifts are determined by needs and events. The Clothing Closet is open to the public every Tuesday and Thursday from 1:00 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- Baby Immunization Program: The volunteers in the Baby Immunization Program work with the doctors and nurses to greet, register and/or help with the well-baby check-up and shots. Volunteers for the Baby Clinic need to display a pleasant and caring attitude toward parents and their children. Some prior experience in working in a medical office or working with children is helpful, but not required. On-the-job training will be provided. The Baby Clinic is held on the second and fourth Wednesday of each month from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Wakarusa Bluegrass Festival: Every June the Wakarusa Bluegrass Festival is held, and some of the proceeds are given to FCDC. FCDC in return provides volunteers on Saturday of the festival to help with parking and working at the ticket table. FCDC also has a display table with information about The Center and the programs and ministries provided. There are generally two hour shifts available from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Come to the Table: In August FCDC hosts the annual Come To The Table event that pairs some of the best local farms with some of the top chefs from Northern Indiana for an evening of gourmet dining and fund raising. A Silent Auction, a Live Auction, and a "Fund-A-Need" all take place on the night of the event. Volunteers are needed prior to the event to help with planning, decorating, set-up, arranging for and collecting items for the auctions. A clean up team is also needed for after the event. Times for volunteers vary depending on the area in which they volunteer.
- Christmas Jubilee: On a Saturday in December each year FCDC hosts the Christmas Jubilee to help local parents provide Christmas gifts and toys to their children who might not otherwise receive much on Christmas. Opportunities exist to help collect toys and other age-appropriate gifts for children ages infant through high school. Organizing the gift tables, assisting clients with "shopping" for gifts, and helping clients load gifts into their vehicles are needed on the day of Christmas Jubilee. Times for volunteers on the day of the event go from 8:00 a.m. to noon.
- Summer Lunch Program: During the summer months FCDC provides lunches for school age children who might not otherwise have lunch provided for them. This program is in partnership with the Nappanee Parks Department and the Boys and Girls Club of Nappanee. Volunteers are needed to help prepare, pack, and distribute lunches to the children at Nappanee parks. Times for preparation and packing are from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 Monday through Friday, and serving is from noon to 12:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Experience with food preparation and service is helpful but not necessary. A positive attitude toward children is needed.